Revolution fall 3-1 to Philly in series opener

The New England Revolution suffered a titanic collective shortcoming in the opening match of their best of three Round One MLS Cup playoff series with the Philadelphia Union.

The Union blitzed the Revolution with three first half goals and held on to post a 3-1 victory on Saturday night at Subaru Park in Chester, Pa. The No. 5 seed Revolution fell to 15-10-10 while the No. 4 Union improved to 16-9-10.

The Revolution and the Union will have an extended downtime before playing Game 2 on Wednesday, Nov. 8, at Gillette Stadium. A deciding third match, if necessary, would be played at Subaru Park on Sunday, Nov. 12, at 3 p.m.

“It is obviously simple, we can’t make our own silly errors that cost us goals,” said Revolution interim head coach Clint Peay. “We have to be more buttoned up on how we deal with certain moments and not giving silly fouls in and around the box that provides them opportunities in the box.

“Albeit the scoreline was not what we wanted, we feel we can create and create good chances against this team.”

Revolution keeper Jacob Jackson, who was making his third career start, was involved in a violent collision with Union attacker Julian Carranza in a race for the ball in the penalty area. Referee Pierre-Luc Lauziere went to the video and awarded the Union a penalty kick. Midfielder Daniel Gazdag fired the PK by Jackson in the 19th minute for his team high 15th of the season.

“It was obviously a tough penalty, he as making a play on the ball but in general I thought he made some decent saves and protected the ball well and was steady,” said Peay.

The Revolution’s prospects were further compromised when team MVP and leading scorer Carles Gil exited the game in the 21st minute with a leg injury. He was replaced by striker Bobby Wood, who picked up a yellow card in the 29th minute.

“Carles took a knock that forced him out of the game and we’ll have to reevaluate him and see where he is,” said Peay.

The Union went up 2-0 in the 26th minute when defender Kai Wagner made a deep run to the left side of the penalty area. Wagner launched a cross as attacker Mikael Uhre crashed the cage. The ball bounced off Uhre and by Jackson for his second of the season.

Lauziere would issue yellow cards to Revs’ center back Andrew Farrell and forward Tomas Chancalay just before Philly went up 3-0 in the 38th minute. Defender Nathan Harriel scored on a header off a free kick for his second of the season.

“First and foremost, they were very physical and disrupted us in transition on crucial moments,” said Peay. “On set pieces they are team that can be very dangerous and they capitalized on that.”

Striker Gustavo Bou denied Blake his ninth clean sheet when he scorer on a great individual effort in the 68th minute. Bou weaved between two Union defended and fired a rising line drive that went under the crossbar for his eighth of the season and third in the last two games.

Blake made the save of the game on Wood in the 75th minute to preserve the two-goal lead. The bad blood boiled to the surface during an altercation between Revs striker Giacomo Vrioni and Union midfielder Jose Martinez in the 88th minute.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous post Jaguar car crashes into Starbucks in Wellesley: Police
Next post After record-high temps in Massachusetts, a chance for the first snow of the season