Pentagon says US doesn’t want to pursue war with Iran after bombing 3 of its nuclear sites
By MIKE PESOLI and JOSH BOAK
WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said Sunday that America “does not seek war” with Iran in the aftermath of a surprise attack overnight on three of that country’s nuclear sites.
The mission, called “Operation Midnight Hammer,” involved decoys and deception, and met with no Iranian resistance, Hegseth and Air Force Gen. Dan Caine, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said at a Pentagon news conference.
“This mission was not and has not been about regime change,” Hegseth added.
Caine said the goal of the operation — destroying nuclear sites in Fordo, Natanz and Isfahan — had been achieved.
“Final battle damage will take some time, but initial battle damage assessments indicate that all three sites sustained extremely severe damage and destruction,” Caine said.
More Stories
Trump invests millions in conveyor-belt sushi chain
The US president bought shares in Kura Sushi USA in February, according to his latest financial disclosure, despite rumors that...
Trump shelves AI oversight order
The move reportedly comes after pressure from tech moguls including Elon Musk US President Donald Trump has postponed signing an...
Morrisons to shut 100 convenience stores as supermarket blames Labour’s ‘policy choices’ for rising costs
Morrisons is preparing to pull down the shutters on 100 loss-making convenience stores in a move that places hundreds of...
April borrowing surges to £24.3bn as debt interest bill breaks month record
Higher gilt yields and a £10.3bn debt servicing bill have wiped further fiscal headroom from Rachel Reeves’s plans, leaving the...
Jaguar Land Rover eyes American tie-up with Stellantis to sidestep Trump tariffs
Britain’s biggest car manufacturer has, for the first time in its history, cracked open the door to assembling Range Rovers...
Potters win £120m rescue as government finally backs Britain’s ceramics heartland
After years of quiet desperation in Stoke-on-Trent, the kilns finally have something to celebrate. The government has unveiled a £120...
