Boys soccer state tournament: Maple Grove slips past Park in OT. ‘That was heartbreak.’

The proverbial glass slipper has been broken.

Gavin Chabica scored 4:40 into overtime, and Maple Grove rallied to beat Park 2-1 on Wednesday in a Class 3A state boys soccer semifinal.

“If we would have won that game it would have been the best moment of my career,” Park coach Andrew Bourgoine said. “Soccer can be cruel, and there’s heartbreak in it. That was heartbreak.”

On a ball headed forward by Caleb Manse, Chabica made a quick move to his left, then a quick right-footed strike from 20 yards out found the left side of the net.

“I couldn’t even see the goal, I just hit the ball,” he said.

Next up for the No.2 Crimson is Friday’s 8 a.m. championship match at U.S. Bank Stadium against Wayzata. The top-seeded Trojans beat Woodbury 3-2 in overtime in the other semifinal.

Unseeded Park gets No. 4 Woodbury in Thursday’s third-place game.

The loss ended a sterling late-season charge by a Park team that had back-to-back wins just twice during the regular season and was sitting at .500 in late September.

Seeded third in their section tournament, the Wolfpack (12-8-0) upset top-seeded Rosemount in the section final and dispatched No. 3 Minnetonka in the quarterfinals. Both were 1-0 games.

“Everyone else counted Park out. We’ve got a great group of boys here. Hopefully, we could have finished the job,” midfielder Noah Haupt said.

“I knew we had the potential for this,” Park defender Joseph Runion added.

Ayub Mohamed scored with 10:16 remaining in regulation for a 1-0 Wolfpack lead. Two perfectly threaded passes through traffic, the second by Haupt, allowed Mohamed to get a left-footed shot off from about 10 yards out. It found the lower right corner.

“It’s what we’ve been doing all year. I expect it from them. That was amazing,” Bourgoine said. “It was a special play; it was something I thought would bring us to the state title game. That play would have been in Park lore.”

Maple Grove (19-0-1) thought it scored with 18 minutes left. Although the ball ended up in the net, the Crimson were called for being offsides.

There was no room for debate with 2:21 left in regulation when Chabica, in the box, converted a feed from Felix Siaffa for the tying goal.

“Their defense packed in it a lot, so it was hard to get in there and get chances,” Crimson midfielder Anson Karn said. “But we ended up getting two (chances) — and scoring.”

Related Articles

High School Sports |

Boys soccer state tournament: Wayzata hands Woodbury another ‘cruel’ loss

High School Sports |

State boys soccer: St. Paul Academy gets step closer to repeat with Class A quarterfinal win over Washington

High School Sports |

Unseeded Park’s Cinderella story continues with defeat of Minnetonka in Class 3A boys soccer quarterfinal

High School Sports |

Downpour can’t dampen outcome for Hill-Murray in win over Mahtomedi in Class 2A boys soccer quarterfinal

High School Sports |

Boys soccer: Park beats Rosemount in Class 3A, Section 3 final to book ticket to state

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous post High school field hockey tournament preview and predictions
Next post From MIAC doormat to title favorite, Macalester basketball ready to show how far it has come in exhibition vs. Gophers