National Guard troops have temporarily detained civilians in LA protests, commander says
By LOLITA C. BALDOR
WASHINGTON (AP) — National Guard troops already have temporarily detained civilians in the Los Angeles protests over immigration raids, the commander in charge said Wednesday, but they quickly turned them over to law enforcement.
Related Articles
Female athletes appeal landmark NCAA settlement, saying it violates federal antidiscrimination law
Beach Boys legend Brian Wilson’s life in photos
John Cusack, Ronnie Wood, Nancy Sinatra and more react to the death of Brian Wilson
US reduces the presence of people not deemed essential to work in the Middle East as tensions rise
Disney and Universal sue AI firm Midjourney for copyright infringement
Maj. Gen. Scott Sherman also said about 500 of the National Guard troops have been trained so far to accompany agents on immigration operations. Photos of Guard soldiers providing security for the agents have already been circulated by immigration officials.
Sherman is commander of Task Force 51, which is overseeing the more than 4,000 Guard troops and 700 Marines who have been deployed to Los Angeles to provide security during the protests.
More Stories
Trump invests millions in conveyor-belt sushi chain
The US president bought shares in Kura Sushi USA in February, according to his latest financial disclosure, despite rumors that...
Trump shelves AI oversight order
The move reportedly comes after pressure from tech moguls including Elon Musk US President Donald Trump has postponed signing an...
Morrisons to shut 100 convenience stores as supermarket blames Labour’s ‘policy choices’ for rising costs
Morrisons is preparing to pull down the shutters on 100 loss-making convenience stores in a move that places hundreds of...
April borrowing surges to £24.3bn as debt interest bill breaks month record
Higher gilt yields and a £10.3bn debt servicing bill have wiped further fiscal headroom from Rachel Reeves’s plans, leaving the...
Jaguar Land Rover eyes American tie-up with Stellantis to sidestep Trump tariffs
Britain’s biggest car manufacturer has, for the first time in its history, cracked open the door to assembling Range Rovers...
Potters win £120m rescue as government finally backs Britain’s ceramics heartland
After years of quiet desperation in Stoke-on-Trent, the kilns finally have something to celebrate. The government has unveiled a £120...
