FBI arrests a man in New York linked to explosion at a California fertility clinic, officials say
By ERIC TUCKER and JAKE OFFENHARTZ, Associated Press
NEW YORK (AP) — The FBI has made an arrest in New York in connection with an explosion of a Palm Springs, California fertility clinic, three law enforcement officials familiar with the matter said Wednesday.
Federal prosecutors are expected to release details about the case at a news conference in Los Angeles.
The arrest, which was first reported by NBC News, took place at John F. Kennedy Airport in New York on Tuesday evening, according to the officials. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss a criminal case that has not been publicly disclosed.
Related Articles
Canadian wildfire smoke causes ‘very unhealthy’ conditions in American Midwest and reaches Europe
2 more attacks on Jews heighten concerns about security in and around US synagogues
Today in History: June 4, the Tiananmen Square Massacre
Fed lifts restrictions placed on Wells Fargo in 2018 because of its fake-accounts scandal
Texas considers banning products infused with THC derived from hemp, and retailers are worried
The arrest stems from an apparent car bomb detonation of a fertility clinic last month by a man who authorities said had nihilistic writings. The FBI identified Guy Edward Bartkus as the suspect and said he was believed to have died in the explosion. A body was found near a charred vehicle outside the clinic.
Officials said at the time that they were investigating whether Bartkus had any help.
The blast gutted the American Reproductive Centers fertility clinic in Palms Springs and shattered the windows of nearby buildings along a palm tree-lined street. Witnesses described a loud boom followed by a chaotic scene, with people screaming in terror and glass strewn along the sidewalk and street.
A senior FBI official called the explosion possibly the “largest bombing scene that we’ve had in Southern California.”
Bartku attempted to livestream the explosion and left behind writings that communicated “nihilistic ideations” that were still being examined to determine his state of mind, the FBI said. U.S. Attorney Bilal “Bill” Essayli, the top federal prosecutor in the area, called the message “anti-pro-life.”
More Stories
Trump invests millions in conveyor-belt sushi chain
The US president bought shares in Kura Sushi USA in February, according to his latest financial disclosure, despite rumors that...
Trump shelves AI oversight order
The move reportedly comes after pressure from tech moguls including Elon Musk US President Donald Trump has postponed signing an...
Morrisons to shut 100 convenience stores as supermarket blames Labour’s ‘policy choices’ for rising costs
Morrisons is preparing to pull down the shutters on 100 loss-making convenience stores in a move that places hundreds of...
April borrowing surges to £24.3bn as debt interest bill breaks month record
Higher gilt yields and a £10.3bn debt servicing bill have wiped further fiscal headroom from Rachel Reeves’s plans, leaving the...
Jaguar Land Rover eyes American tie-up with Stellantis to sidestep Trump tariffs
Britain’s biggest car manufacturer has, for the first time in its history, cracked open the door to assembling Range Rovers...
Potters win £120m rescue as government finally backs Britain’s ceramics heartland
After years of quiet desperation in Stoke-on-Trent, the kilns finally have something to celebrate. The government has unveiled a £120...
