Crews restore power to nearly all customers after island-wide blackout hit Puerto Rico
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — Power was restored to 98.8% of customers early Friday after an island-wide blackout hit Puerto earlier this week, authorities said.
More than 1.45 million customers had electricity less than 48 hours after the outage hit, according to Luma Energy, which oversees the transmission and distribution of power on the island.
“Although restoration is nearing completion, some customers may continue to experience temporary outages due to limited generation,” Luma said.
The blackout that hit Wednesday afternoon occurred after a transmission line failed and then caused generators across the island to protectively shut down, officials have said. It also left more than 400,000 customers without water at the time.
It wasn’t immediately clear what caused the failure, although authorities are investigating whether a series of breakers failed or if overgrown vegetation is to blame.
Gov. Jenniffer González said she expected to receive a preliminary report in upcoming days.
It’s the second massive blackout to hit Puerto Rico in less than four months. The previous one happened on New Year’s Eve.
More Stories
Trump invests millions in conveyor-belt sushi chain
The US president bought shares in Kura Sushi USA in February, according to his latest financial disclosure, despite rumors that...
Trump shelves AI oversight order
The move reportedly comes after pressure from tech moguls including Elon Musk US President Donald Trump has postponed signing an...
Morrisons to shut 100 convenience stores as supermarket blames Labour’s ‘policy choices’ for rising costs
Morrisons is preparing to pull down the shutters on 100 loss-making convenience stores in a move that places hundreds of...
April borrowing surges to £24.3bn as debt interest bill breaks month record
Higher gilt yields and a £10.3bn debt servicing bill have wiped further fiscal headroom from Rachel Reeves’s plans, leaving the...
Jaguar Land Rover eyes American tie-up with Stellantis to sidestep Trump tariffs
Britain’s biggest car manufacturer has, for the first time in its history, cracked open the door to assembling Range Rovers...
Potters win £120m rescue as government finally backs Britain’s ceramics heartland
After years of quiet desperation in Stoke-on-Trent, the kilns finally have something to celebrate. The government has unveiled a £120...
